March 2013 Joshua Tree Earth Oven
Just finished this earth oven in a 3-day workshop with a great group of students in Pioneertown, California together with Adobeisnotsoftware.
Some project details:
1. oven base is made of adobe bricks and earthen mortar
2. the oven floor is insulated with glass bottles wrapped in light-straw clay
3. the oven floor is made of 40 fire bricks
4. the dome thickness (thermal layer plus light-straw-clay insulation layer) totals 10"
5. the earthen plaster is strengthened with wheat paste
Keep an eye on the Adobeisnotsoftware website for the next earth oven class which will most likely take place in Los Angeles in the fall of 2013.
Click below for info on other adobe construction classes that I teach: