New Mexico Adobe Building Permit Process
Instruction Format: Online (6 Weeks)
Workload: 5 hours per week
This course covers the process of applying for a permit to build with adobe in New Mexico. We use the New Mexico Earthen Materials Building Code as a guide to correct design and building procedures.
- general overview of all code-related vocabulary and definitions for adobe construction
- allowable wall heights for adobe construction and other wall-specific topics
- classes of adobe, soil and block testing in the code
- foundations and bond beams
- lintel sizing for window and door openings
- plastering and wall insulation
- detailed overview of the New Mexico adobe permitting process
- detailed overview of adobe building plan requirements and drawing process
- detailed overview of adobe building plan submission process
- detailed overview of adobe building inspection process
Note: The New Mexico Earthen Building Materials Code is respected around the world. The NM code can be used as a guide to ensure that quality adobe construction practices are followed regardless of your location. The NM code is sometimes also accepted in states or countries which do not have their own earthbuilding code in place. Contact your local building officials to inquire about this process.